Friday, February 01, 2008

Confusion

After having an extremely difficult day yesterday Jon was moved back into ICU. Apparently he stopped responding to the antibiotic. Once the Dr. had determined what strand of meningitis Jon had they had discontinued some of his meds. When they did this he started slipping backwards. Thursday afternoon the ran another MRI and did another spinal tap. The biggest concern was slurred speech or no speech. He was showing the symptoms of a very slight stroke. Naturally we were very concerned. So last night they moved him back into ICU and put him back on all the meds. He had a really rotten night last night however his day today was really good. Here is an email I sent to our church family.
Good evening folks,
I was in the hospital till 10:30 last night and was on the grounds again this morning by 7:15. So, here is what I know. He had a very bad night last night. Didn't get any sleep or very little. When we arrived this morning he was sleeping. He roused at one point and Daddy told him good morning and Jon replied Good morning Daddy. I thought I should try it also so I said good morning and he turned his head and spoke to me also. Saying good morning Glen. I was so relieve I started to cry and he then started to laugh. After this he promptly fell asleep. He slept until 12 noon. He ate really well, Laureen fed him, and then he slept most of the afternoon. They are still giving him morphine for pain but not as often. The MRI came back clear on all counts. No sign of stroke or any permanent damage. The Neurologist had them run an EKG on his brain too make sure he wasn't having seizures. This too came back clear. It appears that what he needs is lots of sleep. So, in short it appears that all of his cognitive functions should return to normal with time. He is very sick and in serious condition but things are looking much brighter than yesterday evening this time. I will give you more details as they arrive.
Thanks for praying
Glen

1 comment:

jump4joy said...

I am glad to hear he is doing better again, though still very sick. I was very concerned when we got the phone chain message about him doing worse again. I prayed for him throughout the day. Keep us posted please.
Lorene