Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Yankees Part II

It appears that Steinbrenner has decided not to be an idiot after all. Torre said in a press conference the other day that he will be back to manage the Yankees next year. He has been the manager of the Yankees for 11 years and has never missed the playoffs. Not bad. (For your information, I am NOT a Yankee man. I cannot stand the Yankees.) Now I would like to make few comments about another manager, Bobby Cox. Bobby Cox has been managing the Braves for as long as I can remember. This is the first year the Braves have not won their division since the early 90's. I believe they had won their division 13 years in a row. In todays world that is very good. The only negative thing I can say about Cox is his inability to win the World Series. I remember game 7 (I think it was) against the Twins many moons ago. A game they should have won but the Twins faked a double play which caused the baserunner to stop in confusion at second base. If he would not have been confused he would have scored and the Braves would have won. I don't understand how the Braves can win so consistently in the season and never win 0n the worlds biggest stage. Sadly, the Braves were awful this year. (I am a Braves man. I am also an Orioles man.) Anyway, enough about sports. Maybe my next post will be more worth your time...

2 comments:

Momof3 said...

A doctor friend of mine said that the cannot win in the post-season because of Cox's habit of resting almost all of his starters as soon as the Braves clinch the division title. This allows them to get rusty, therefore they will not be able to perform at their peak levels in the postseason.

Oh, and for the record, that was 14 in a row.

-a fellow Braves fan

Anonymous said...

Yeah hopefully, to that last sentence. I am not a sports fan and feel a bit of sorrow for those who are wrapped up in the triviality of them.
Jon