Friday, October 13, 2006

Question

I was wondering this morning if it is better to have family devotions or personal devotions. This may sound like a silly question because you should be doing both. However, the fact of the matter is most people don't do either, or do they? Which one is best for the family. Personal devotions would help me be a better parent/father/husband/person. It would increase my love for the Savior. I believe family devotions would do this as well only not in the same way. Yet family devotions would be best for the family as a unit. I think you should do both, I have been missing my personal devotions lately and I have lots of good excuses. We have been having family devotions but I can find myself using that as a basis for not needing to take the time for personal devotions. Oh the devil is always at work.

1 comment:

Tim Rice said...

When I was a child, I remember my parents gathering all us children together each evening for family devotions. I don't remember the name but there was a church-sponsored devotional guide we used. We would begin with a Scripture reading followed by the devotional commentary. Us children would then take turns choosing a song to sing from a Mennonite hymnal after which we all got on our knees for a time of prayer by each one of us. That's a treasured memory.

But I also treasure my memory of Mom and Dad sitting at the kitchen table each evening shortly before bedtime having their personal devotions and then going to a sofa in another room to kneel for a time of prayer. They set a good example for us children.