Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Spooked

Last night, about midnight, I heard this rumbling noise. I assumed it was ice/snow sliding off the barn roof. The noise spooked the cows and they had a glorious time racing around the barn. The bad thing was they tore a gate down and my high cows got in with the low cows. So about 25 high cows went through the parlor twice. I didn't milk them but it took longer to finish milking. Anyway, today Dwayne, the neighboring farmer, wondered if I had heard thunder last night. He said his wife had seen lightning and then heard this rumbling of thunder about midnight. So, have experienced my first thunder snow. It sounded completely different from a thunderstorm. A more muffled sound. The lightning probably would look different also. Wish I could have seen the lightning. Have you ever seen/heard a thunder snow?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What are high and low cows? The news did say that yall flatlanders might get some thunder snow. Sounds like fun ( except for the short and tall cow part). Lauren

Anonymous said...

Sunday night were awakened by noise that sounded just like thunder-scared me good and proper!
Kristena

Glen Zehr said...

High cows are the cows which are milking more than the low cows....
Low cows typically are not far from going dry...