Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wild Life

I was crossing the bridge that spans our grand tributary known as "The Seneca" when I saw a huge hairy dog crossing the road a 100 yards in front of me. As the dog entered the brush I realized this was no ordinary dog. In fact it wasn't a dog, it was a black bear. This is the first bear I have ever seen that wasn't behind bars and fed by the local zoo man or lady. Based on my vast knowledge of bears and amount of time I saw the animal, a brief 20 seconds, I would say he was in the 2-300lb range. I contemplated getting out of the truck and traipsing into the brush with my trusty hands as a weapon. (I was feeling very much like David Crocket.) In the end common sense prevailed and passed by. I consoled myself with the joy of seeing such an animal in the wild.

No comments: