Monday, July 28, 2008

A Tad Depressed

I lost a really good cow this morning. Sat. evening/afternoon she got all hung up in a free stall. Messed her back and her neck up. She was really in a bind. I removed two of the free stall loops so we could get her out. We put her in the bed pack barn and then she got up. She was extremely weak but once a cow gets up she usually gets better. Not this one. She laid back down and never got up again. I think the swelling in her back got worse and she ended up paralyzed. She died this afternoon. She was in her 8th lactation and had 253,000 some odd lbs of milk in her lifetime. She has also given me three or four heifer calves. Oh well, such is life. May she rest in peace. The other depressing thing is my SCC or mastitus. We were doing so well for so long and now it is rediculously high and I can't seem to get it down. Aggravating. This too shall pass but it is extremely annoying. You try to improve the technique and things get worse. Doesn't make sense to me.... Sigh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm sorry.....I feel your pain. Lost one myself last week. Probably hardware. Grandaddy always reminds me of what one of his wise uncles used to say, "As long as it stays in the barn it's not so bad"
That does give some perspective....
I'm still sorry though..

tio Del