Saturday, January 28, 2006

Heat

What type of heat do you the reader use? There are many kinds of heat people can choose from. Options include heat pumps, indoor wood stoves, gas/propane, oil furnace, radiator/water, and outdoor wood furnaces. When we built our house we put in a Wood Master outdoor wood furnace. Several years later I installed a huge Global Hydronics outdoor wood furnace at the farm. The one at my house heats the house and my hot water. We have lived in our house for roughly eight years and I have never hooked my hot water heater up. The stove at the barn is heating the floor in the milking parlor and the hot water. It is also heating the farm house and is set up to heat the water in the house as well. If you have a source of wood these are, in my opinion, the only way to heat your house. It is so nice to stand in front of a register when my feet are cold and have warm air flowing through my duct system. So again I ask, what kind of heat do you use?

5 comments:

Rob said...

We have a heat pump here and I have been glad for our choice considering the wild range of costs for gas or heating oil these days. Our electric bill averages around 180.00 per month. Not bad considering everything we have runs off of electric. We don't have and gas or oil bills. By the way Glen, I noticed you made the mistake of calling a "water heater" a "hot water heater" LOL. It is more properly called a "water heater" or "cold water heater". Its been a running joke in these parts. I thought it was only us folks here in Delaware that referred to it as a "hot water heater". Maybe you have been around Ben too long! Ha ha.

Glen Zehr said...

Funny, I don't remember ever hearing it called anything except a Hot Water Heater.

Anonymous said...

Let me argue the other side for nothing better to do. I think the term "hot water heater" is used due to the fact that you wouldn't want your cold water heated. The term "hot water" is referring to which supply line it is heating and not it's state of temperature. I guess we could call it a "hot water supply line heater". Nah, that is too cumbersome.

Rob said...

Ben, you had me scratching my head on that one. LOL

Anonymous said...

We have gas logs upstairs and a wood stove downstairs. Unfortunately, they're both on one end of the house and my room is on the other end....maybe that explains my strange love of many covers. =)
~Susan