Saturday, February 16, 2013

Friday Night Fun

Last night, while I was dozing peacefully on my couch, the phone blasted a shrill note in my ear.  "Glen, we have a problem.  We have cows in our front yard." said Marshall.  "Hmm, are you sure?" says I.  "Yes," says he "can you go to the barn and see where they came from and I will send head your way?"  "Sure"  I reply.  So off I go with children in tow.  I leap upon my trusty steed, four wheeler, and head for the barn.  I notice a gate open at the far end so I investigate.  The chain is hanging wearily around one of the spars with the bolt still through a link.  I spy the nut lying neatly on the concrete wall.  "Boys" I think to myself.  Upon further investigation the truth will come forth.  However, tampering with said bolt was heatedly denied.  So we assume some nosy cow spent an incredible amount of time turning the nut of the bolt with her tongue.  But the story has only begun.  As I rounded the barn I noticed a cow laying in a place that would be very uncomfortable, over the drop box.  The drop box is a box in which the manure falls before it floats through a pipe to the manure pit.  She wasn't exactly over it she was more in it.  Both rear legs were hanging uselessly down in the box.  After much thought and prodding she pulled one foot up onto the concrete.  We had the skid loader handy and gave her a boost for which she was quite thankful I am sure.  I am also sure she is fairly sore.  While we were helping the cow out of the box the other 90 cows in the group were sprinting gleefully around the farm.  Over hill over dale the cows hit the dusty trail or go swimming in the pit.  I know she did I saw here climb out.  Wimpy was her name.  When we finally got them in we noticed a dry cow in the another barn who wouldn't rise up and walk.  So, we brought the skid loader around, loaded her in the bucket and hauled her to the pre-fresh  barn so she would be more comfortable.  I was hoping getting her off of concrete and onto sawdust would work wonders in her morale and she would hope up and take a bow.  Unfortunately this didn't happen.  So we gave her a shot of banamine for swelling.  I was assuming she had injured herself.  Plus when she tried to get up she would only make it half way up.  It appeared that she had a back injury.  However my fading memory pulled some cow history out of the grey matter while milking this morning.  I remembered we had dried 375 off very early because she had quit milking.  I didn't think about it at the time because she didn't look sick or anything.  I assumed she was wanting a long vacation.  I am now thinking she has a deeper issue.  I think it is sin...   Or perhaps cancer...   Cancer would explain why she wouldn't get up.  The tumor is putting pressure on the nerves and she can't get up.  Poor cow...  Poor me...  Such is life on the funny farm...

No comments: