Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Memories

I mentioned on Facebook that I was camping with my wife's family this past weekend.  There are things about camping that are grand and glorious and then there are things that are, well,  less so.    A fire is always a must.  Not a roaring smoke free fire or a perfect hot dog roasting fire, lots of good hot coals.  Most camping fires I have been responsible for NASA would be proud of.  I am sure they wonder what sort of rocket or shuttle has been launched.  A silent shuttle to be sure, unless to much gas has been used, but lots of smoke.  Beautiful smoke.  Lung filling smoke.  Nicotine free of course but glorious blue smoke wafting through eyes and nose before winding gracefully through the trees. I enjoy and appreciate the nostalgic feeling one has when tears are streaming down his face. Cooking is also an incredible experience.  I was able to create a rather impressive fire one morning.  It was the  result of some sort of raw meat which ha falling into the fire and is turning into something resembling charcoal but is also causing a roaring blaze.  Grease will do this.  If you don't believe me try it sometime but please do it outside.  Your mother/wife/children will appreciate it.
And then there is the tent that I never could master.  So many little stakes and pegs.  Rods with some sort of stretchy stuff you have to thread through holes,  bending and twisting them so the roof of the tent is dome shaped instead of flat, like a pancake, on the ground.  Then, once the tent is erect you can place things in it to sleep on.  Sleeping bags, air mattress, foam mattress, etc.  Most air mattress I have used are always flat by morning.  Why is this?  It could be brand new, never used, fresh from Wal-Mart and by 1:00 in the morning it will be flat and some root will be annoying you nigh unto death .
And of course there is rain.  Glorious rain.  Rain that makes the crops grow and the fires smolder and sputter.  Soggy hot dog buns are always a great treat.
Then there are elephant ears.  Cooked over a pot of oil which is sitting somewhat precariously over the fire.  A few accidental slops and you will have another roaring inferno.  This is something men greatly enjoy watching.  Women?  Not so much.
Then you have all the incredible work of taking the tent back down and packing everything back up and going home to a hot shower.  Your shower.  Need I say more?
I must admit this past weekend I did none of this, I slept in a little cottage which was equipped with an AC, shower, restroom and a bed.   However, I did try to cook over the fire.  But I am digressing from the title.  The memories that were made.  Looking back on this weekend.  The children spent hours and hours riding bike and playing.  The rest of us sat around the fire talking about days gone by and swatting at the bugs buzzing around our ears.  We remembered previous camping episodes.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  We laughed about the ugly and proved to ourselves that we had matured in the last ten years.  I think we had a great weekend....
Oh, did I mention I had more elephant ears than any one else.  They were really quite awesome...

No comments: