Friday, June 01, 2012

All In A Name

The name of our farm is "Airy Mont Farm".  I have gotten more strange looks over this name.  Where did that come from?  Did you say Dairy Mont Farm?  Or maybe Dairy Mart Farm?  I always wonder if these folks simply need to purchase a nice pricey pair of hearing aids.  But I digress, Airy Mont Farm.  If you have ever planted your feet on our farm in the spring you will understand where the name comes from.  The farm buildings are located on a hill and we get more than our share of wind.
But there is more to it than this.  Years ago Merle Yoder coined another name for our farm, "Malfunction Junction".  I am really disappointed I can't take the credit for such an appropriate name.  It fits so well.  If you read my previous post you read about a decision which led to some hay being rained on.   Well, we raked it yesterday only to have it rained on again last night.  Another form of Malfunction Junction.  It never ends.  Some days we spend a considerable amount of time trying to find ways to make this name remain true and faithful till the end.  We spend so many days working toward this goal that I had "Malfunction Junction" printed under "Airy Mont Farm" on our checks.  The bank was somewhat surprised.
But wait, there is more.  We are in the process of purchasing another farm in Pittsylvania county. (Should have closing in a couple weeks.)  This property has an incredible number of creeks and streams as well as bordering Straight-stone Creek.  (Which I would call a small river and I assume this "Creek" is quite offended by it's poorly chosen name.  It isn't very straight either.)  Anyway, lest I ramble on forever I have been pondering names for this property.  We had quite a list.  Double Creek, Triple Creek, Rolling Creek, on and on the list goes.  None of which struck me as the appropriate name.  Earlier this week it came to me that perhaps it should be called Troublesome Creek.  Malfunction Junction and Troublesome Creek.  After all we have a reputation to uphold.

No comments: