Sunday, August 03, 2008

ID System Update

Friday I decided to do some research. I was wondering how many cows I had bred in the month of July. So I found a report in PCDart/DHIA that showed me the last twelve months. In July of 2007 I bred 12 cows. In July of 2008 I bred 32 cows. This is a huge improvement. I am still having some issues with the ID loop. It needs to be reconfigured. It is currently set up as a feeder. So it will ID the cow but not always send activity information. I feel fairly certain this is because a feeder doesn't really need to do anything but ID the cow. We will be setting it up as sort gate in the coming week, I hope. Hopefully this will fix the problem. A sort gate is designed to send a lot of information at one time. Nastitus cows or sick cows or lame cows or cows in heat would all be sorted out through a sort gate. My milking equipment is so outdated I cannot use any of this technology. This is why they set it up as a feeder instead of a sort gate initially. Ok, I will stop before I confuse you further....

No comments: