Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Lost & Found

Yesterday afternoon a heifer calved. I put her in the barn where the milking cows are housed and then went out to the pasture to get the milking cows in so I could start milking the cows. I glanced around trying to find the heifer but I never saw her. I assumed she was in the holding pen where I couldn't see her. Much to my dismay I discovered this was an inaccurate assumption. She was no where to be seen. I looked everywhere I could think of. Out in the pasture, in the manure pit, and back in the pre-fresh group but to no avail. I had given up and decided she would show up sometime in the near future looking for her calf. Sonny, however, went and looked at the one place I hadn't and their she was. We have two manure pits. From the upper pit to the lower pit their is a 10-15 foot drop. Well, she had slid down the 10-15 foot bank and was in the lower pit where I couldn't see her. She was unhurt and was placed back in the milking herd.

No comments: