Saturday, August 04, 2012

Dad

It seems that my head is empty lately.  I have nothing to say...  Which for some of you is a great relief.  I am currently listening to a cassette tape.  Do any of you remember those days?  My wife just flipped it over for me.  (Tapes need to be turned over if you want to listen to the other side.)  This is an old King's Heralds tape.  Another Rainbow.  Love the songs on this album and I am hoping VOP can record a few more of them in the coming years. 
It is amazing how these tapes that I listened to when I was child bring back memories from my childhood.  I remember my Dad taking classes at EMU one fall/winter.  The class was once a week and for some reason my brother and I went with him.  I think we were along to help with the driving.  Well, Jon helped with the driving I went along for the ride.  I remember one time we were traveling up in the rain and listening to this tape.  Anyway, I won't bore you with all the details, well actually that is not true.  I have shared with you all that remember from that experience.  It was nothing earth shattering or life shaping or perhaps it was.
 I remember another instance when Dad and us boys went to Baltimore, MD and attended a King's Singers concert.  What a thrilling event this was.  We spent the night in a hotel, which was unheard of for us, and the next day we went shopping, music shopping.  I don't remember how many stores we went to but we were sheet music shopping.  I also remember on this trip I had my first ever experience with someone wanting money for food.  If I am not mistaken Daddy took him to a little shop and bought him a sandwich. 
I remember another time when Daddy was doing research at UVA and he needed to make copies and we stopped at this little store and got a bunch of change.  I was the copy man.  Big stuff indeed.  Funny, I didn't know I spent so much time with my Dad...
I must admit I think highly of my Dad and I am so thankful for the influence he has had in my life. 

No comments: