Friday, February 20, 2009

Korwin Dale

Korwin, my nephew, Jon's son, was diagnosed with a slipped femur. Have you heard of such a thing? I never had. Anyway, they went to see an orthopedic surgeon Monday evening and they threw him in the hospital and by Tuesday afternoon he had been operated on. If I am not mistaken they put three pins in his hip area. I believe this is to keep it from slipping any more. There is a fuse plate that fuses things together at some point in our life. The fuse plate fuses the thingy to the thingamajig. If the thingy isn't right, to low because it slipped, then he would have had a limp the rest of his life.
They operated so quickly because he could have done major damage if he had tripped and fallen on the hip. If something like this would have happened he could have really messed things up and would have needed a hip replacement at some point.
So now you are up to speed on Korwin and his slipped femur. Hopefully this information is accurate. If not I am sure Korwin will have plenty of time to set me straight...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this is the same thing Rachel's cousin Kevin had a year or so ago. I know they slapped him in the hospital ASAP and did surgery on him too. Maybe Trudy will read this and let us know.

Glen Zehr said...

Apparently Trudy won't read this or she won't let us know...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Glen, but I went to the doctor on Tuesday, and had surgery on Wednesday. The doctor ended up only putting 2 pins in. It is a Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. So now it is anchored so that it will not slip any more. There is supposed to be no weight on it for 6 weeks from surgery. Korwin