Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Hay Fort

The other day I mowed some hay that was located right in front of my brother's house. It is a rather small field, an acre at most, and only produced 30 bales. When I went down to get the hay up this morning, small square bales, I discovered that my nephews and their mother had made a fort using the bales. From what I could gather from the tale the boys told me, they used a little red wagon and a two wheel cart to move all the hay out of the field to the spot they had chosen for the fort. These bales were not light, I would guess they weighed in around 50-60 lbs. I was glad they had the ingenuity to find a way to build a fort and have fun. I was also glad I didn't have to drive and walk all around the little field to pick up the bales. Did you ever experience the joy of playing in the hay? Making tunnels and forts or other interesting things?

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Yeah . . .it's a blast! Thankfully our older cousin Anthony was around to help with the tunnels and the secret room.
We'd also had shelled corn in a big pile on one side of the barn; we'd had such great fun climbing up the ladder and jumping into the pile sometimes it was cottonseed.

Another great game was ball tag on the big round bales.